- 1 day before her trim!
- 14″ hair donation
I had the opportunity to photograph and interview 22 year old Shayna Ding on Mother’s Day. As we sipped Matcha Lattes my head started spinning as she told me about herself. In April/May she’s:
- About to start her third year at UBC
- Starting a 4-week pharmacy internship
- Graced the runway for three fashion designers
- Donated 14” of her hair to the Canadian Cancer Society
- Won the title of Miss Asian Vancouver 2015
- Won 1st place in two Gold and Silver level standard ballroom dance competitions
- A math, chemistry and physics tutor for high school students
- An Event Coordinator for a fundraising event for Nepal
As the conversation continued, she said, “Competitions are a time me to relax.” I was perplexed because it seemed counter-intuitive. She explained school and work are intense and analytic. Dance competitions and pageants are a chance to dance, dress-up and tap into her creative side.
She also explained, “I’m super competitive!” She’s soft-spoken, kind and makes friends easily with other contestants but her competitiveness is directed inwards on self-improvement. She uses the public spotlight to refine her dance steps, poise, presentation and communication skills.
As our interview came to a close I learned her name means beautiful in Hebrew. She enjoys 5 – 10k runs, loves superhot spicy food and plans to enter the Miss Earth and Miss Universe pageants.
Click Shayna’s long hair to view her “before” photo shoot.
Several of these images were featured in the Community section of the Asian Pacific Post newspaper.
Dress: Local Designer, click Evan Clayton
Heels: Steve Madden